Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Free blood comes with a cost...

The other day I was at work and there was a blood drive being conducted. They asked a lot of people if they wanted to give blood and I realized that many people were hesitant. I wasn't sure however if they were just nervous about the needles or if they were just inhumane about the gesture. Nonetheless I always felt that if I can be beneficial and aid in maintaining human life, it is my duty to contribute in whatever way possible.


                                                  

                                                

So I went for the procedure, did all the necessary tests and gave God knows how many pints of blood. Even though the process made me weary I felt great about doing it because I knew my donation will help save another life. Something happened the other day though that really bothered me about the whole idea of giving blood. Did you know that the blood you donate for free, patients are charged to receive it?

When I donated my blood I gave it not only willingly but also for free. My boyfriend's grandmother was admitted to the hospital the other day and when my boyfriend's mother was going over the hospital bill she brought it to my attention that there was also a charge for her mother to get blood.I thought that was absurd and immediately thought about my donation. It isn't fair that the people who need blood have to pay to receive it when it was donated for free. If I donated my blood for free I want someone else to have it for free, I'm just saying!

No comments:

Post a Comment