Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Everything not so tweet....

So often I have heard my friends say that Facebook and Twitter destroy relationships and I always respond that social networking sites don't destroy relationships; people do! Since recently I got a dose of what my friends have been saying and I have come to the realization that assumptions are destroying relationships not social network.



                                                  

Before my boyfriend had a twitter account he would occasionally bring up something I tweeted and I found it funny because that was just outright snooping. I urged him to get an account and follow me instead of tweet watching and he took my advice. I have no problems with him being on twitter because I have nothing to hide and that's why even when he didn't have an account I didn't private my tweets.

So now he joins twitter and even though he doesn't really understand the whole concept he was grasping it little by little. I have over 400 followers on twitter and I follow about about 150 people. Most I know and some I have met through tweeting mutual friends. My boyfriend would go through my followers and ask "who is this and who is that?" My response would be they follow me, I don't know who they are. I tried to explain to him that Facebook and Twitter are slightly different. Different in the sense that most people on Facebook actually add people they know but on Twitter people  follow random people for various reasons.

A few weeks ago we were at my dad's for New Years and I will admit I was on Twitter most of the night wishing everyone a Happy New Year and also responding to tweets. My boyfriend was a little upset that I was tweeting all night and out of respect I stopped. When the party died down he went outside for a smoke and left me inside. I was wondering to myself why is he taking so long. About thirty minutes later he stormed upstairs and showed me the photo of one of my twitter friends and said, "good-looking fellow huh?"Again my response was why are you going through my tweets from a few hours ago and what is the problem now?

 He was apparently mad at me for responding to a question this guy asked via twitter. The question was nothing sexual nor was this guy or myself flirting.Till this very day I still don't understand how my boyfriend came to that conclusion. Here goes the tweet that almost cost me my relationship. You be the judge and let me know if I was flirting.

Earlier during the day I had tweeted I'm full and tipsy after being at TGIF. My follower tweeted back saying "Oh what have you been drinking" and I said mojitos. Okay so the conversation ends right there. Nothing more nothing less just a simple question was asked. Tell me why my boyfriend thought this tweet was a big deal? Maybe I'm missing something but how on earth is this guy flirting with me and I'm flirting back by responding to a simple question. I just think that some people take these social networking sites too seriously. I mean it is twitter it just there for entertainment. It seems as if people can't be cordial to others online any more without assumptions and conclusions being drawn...

No comments:

Post a Comment